Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Those lovely Italians... and a few special stories

That's me with Italian referee, Fabrizio Paquali. We are waving to B.J. Evans of USA Volleyball.
Fabrizio is a fabulous person with a great name, indeed.
Heard from Fabrizio today, Thursday, Aug. 25:


Ciao Janie Ciao B.J.,
was amazing my stay in Rio but unfortunately I come back home just in time for this terrible earthquake that caused death and distruction. I've been lucky, me and my family are in good conditions expecially because we live 25 km. far from the epicentre of this drama. My wife is a doctor and she's living day by day this emergency with so many people died ( a lot of childrens). And since yesterday we counted more than 200 sismic shocks and during the night is a nightmare!
Sorry for this catastrofic bulletin... A big hug and thanks for share our experience in Rio.
Kind regards
Ciao
Fabrizio

 I plan to send him and his family a box of Aplets and Cotlets. In fact, just posted a $200-plus order
to send eight boxes to the hotel friends in Rio. They will love the surprise!

http://summergames.ap.org/article/life-volleyball-ref

I also bonded with Matteo Piano - how about that great moniker? - and when I interviewed him after Italy beat the U.S. in the semis, he got down on his knees to be at my eye level. Not sure
that has happened before. Then, afterward, I reached to shake his hand and he wrapped me up in a warm hug of appreciation. After his team lost in straight sets to Brazil for gold, he had these kind words to say: "I smiled when I heard the anthem of Brazil before the match. 
It was something special, all of Maracanazinho singing." 
At the airport on Monday, I saw the Italy team minus Mr. Piano (darn it!) and the head coach, ‎Gianlorenzo Blengini, stopped me, kissed me on each cheek and told the man with him, "She had the best questions of the press conferences all tournament." That compliment meant the world,
because I covered far more than just the U.S. teams.
Matteo Piano also thanked me for the story I wrote on him:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/956e06fee1f54df7996aad559b14a994/matteo-piano-italy-go-olympic-gold-mens-volleyball 

I did the best work I have in my career in Rio, and for this I am blessed
to have been sent there by the AP and to be chosen to cover volleyball. I thrived. I had blast.
I hope to cover it again in Tokyo 2020 four years from now. Just in my final few days,
these pieces I am quite proud of.
And this note from the head U.S. men's coach:
A few more special stories...
An analytics guru guiding U.S. women's team:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3b2d1c1bd67a463990fe37c40dda535b/got-data-geek-behind-us-womens-volleyball-does

Bronze for U.S. women (such a special group to me) and it's well
worth a look at all the photos by clicking the first one: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/0dca249241544ad5813725562e61e3b1/resilient-us-volleyballers-last-ride-ends-bronze

Bronze for U.S. men: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/cc1fa44b32b440ac8035ec042d489d4e/longtime-volleyball-ambassador-reid-priddy-goes-out-style

And, my final story on the gold medal for proud host nation, Brazil - one of the best
scenes I've seen in nearly 20 years covering sports, and I just tried to capture it all:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7c00f57c55624090b513a5c3e44e7b0a/brazil-grabs-mens-volleyball-gold-neymar-watching

No comments: