Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Emotional, tear-filled goodbyes with friends new and old

The great press room volunteers at volleyball.
The man to my right, Antonio Gnassi, teaches journalism in Naples, Italy. 
Yes, I've offered to be a visiting lecturer already. :) Crossing fingers to do it one day!
 So long, dear Isabel and Thaisa.
 Many tears with these guys ... Eduardo to the far left (my right), Marco to my direct right, and Francisco to my immediate left and then Adriano all became special friends. They all wrote postcards to me, and the ladies at the front desk gave me a little pink necklace I'm wearing as well as this sweet note below signed inside by the entire hotel staff. I teared up all day.
Rui surprised Annie and me with fresh-squeezed OJ
one morning near the end, "for strength," he said.
And the breakfast guys gave me these postcards, signed by each of them on
back with special notes I will cherish.

 The stadium photo is the soccer venue, with the smaller one to the left
the volleyball arena where I went every day. They were so sweet to do this.

 Melissa Dudek from UVA, and she's the one who helped me last year on
setting up the story on the coach who adopted her daughter from Senegal.
Last rooftop shot, even if it was rainy on Monday when I left.
 With Teresa Walker from Nashville and Annie Peterson of
Portland ... two of my dear AP friends. 
And, below, with Matt Rourke of our Philadelphia photo staff and Jeff
Roberson of St. Louis, the two photogs I worked with daily.
 Great new friend Angus from Australia ... and longtime special friend
Frank Franklin from NYC. He worked boxing with Greg Beacham.
 This was their last night of boxing below. So cool! Frank and another
photographer had set up a camera up top.
Ciao, Rio! It was the time of my life. Obrigada y abraco!
And, in another kind of goodbye, below, both Courtney Thompson
(from Woodinville, former UW star) and captain Christa Dietzen
walked off the court after winning bronze and announced to me
they were each retiring from volleyball. Another emotional moment.
The entire women's team and coaching staff signed a ball for me as a surprise at the end.
I was beyond humbled and touched by the thoughtful gesture, presented in the press area
by USA Volleyball PR man, Bill Kauffman. What a great trip! Happy to be home.

2 comments:

Evan and Nathan said...

What memories! What an amazing adventure (and lots of hard work). Bet you are really glad to be home with your family, though! Hope you can enjoy some time off with them!

The Big Sky Brewers said...

Wow, Jane! You made some amazing connections with people and wrote some beautiful stories. What an unforgettable trip. Thanks for sharing!! So, so proud of you!