Thursday, August 18, 2016

Special friends new and old ... the Olympics make the world feel smaller!

 These two are the U.S. press officers for USA Volleyball and I work with them daily to plan stories and interviews. B.J. Evans and Bill Kauffman are top notch!
 Coffee break between women's semifinals tonight with this great crew of new friends 
in the press center at Maracanazinho arena. The blonde in the back, Taavi Kork, is from Estonia and was beyond thrilled to hear I am close friends with someone (Mall Boyd!) with family from his country. The Olympics make the world seem smaller ... I cherish that.
 This is courageous Iranian fan and activist Darya Safai, who held her sign "Let Iranian Women Enter Their Stadiums!" This story moved me to my core, because my life would be SO different if I couldn't go into stadiums. I have a responsibility to share this story - as a woman, as a journalist, as a human who cares so deeply for those I write about.
This first story drove 21 percent of AP's page views for a couple of days, the next highest story was 5 percent on Michael Phelps - and it generated more than 3,000 clicks on Twitter both times AP Sports tweeted it out.

This first story I did I found the woman by sheer luck and chance. I think my Dad was an angel by my side on that one. I bawled over my laptop the entire time writing it on deadline. This is why I do this job. My favorite, most special Olympics yet of the five.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/53d29e4d0bdd405aaabf81d78802ee21/banned-home-iranian-woman-attends-first-volleyball-game

Sajedeh Norouzi, with husband Saeed, is just stunningly beautiful.
I loved her flowered head scarf.
 Interviewing Kelsey Robinson, who has a heart of gold. When I told her that 
16-year-old Mel O'Hoppe on Long Island adores her and she's Mel's favorite player (the family I met by chance - meant to be! - at spring training 2013 right after my dad died and the mother, Angela, has many McCauley cousins so we might just be related!) Kelsey said, "Take down my cell phone number and have her text me, and I'll send her something when back in the states." WOW!
 Juraj Mokry is a 41-year-old associate pharmacology professor back home in Slovakia and father of two who speaks six languages. He is the first Slovakian volleyball referee at an Olympics since 1988 in Seoul. I shared a great conversation with him about Petra's family.
He got to work with dear friend Fabrizio Pasquali of Italy for one match. Italian referees get just one Olympic chance because they must share the wealth. They were touched I wrote about them.
Juraj Mokry and Fabrizio Pasquali... two new friends!
 AP Portland colleague Annie Peterson, the dear friend I replaced in the San Francisco office on Aug. 24, 2002, when she moved to Oregon. Fred Lief is one of our NY-based editors.

 Fun morning adventure with Annie to the famous Lapa steps, Thursday, Aug. 18.
 Nate Ngo and Dave Dantes of USA men's volleyball
 I will dearly miss these three and their warm smiles and hugs each morning.
Today, Rui asked us to wait a few extra minutes then surprised us with freshly squeezed OJ ...
"For strength," he said.

Matt Rourke, L, Frank Franklin, Janie and Jeff Roberson. Three great photographers
made this gal's work so fun with better presentation and packaging for papers and web sites.
Frank is a dear friend. He and I worked together in Seattle 15 years ago during the Mariners' 116-win season and he is now based in NYC and we get to reconnect 
about once every 3-4 years on assignment.

Frank photographed boxing with Greg Beacham writing.
Wilson the great, sweet waiter at Pizzalandia meets (Bernie) Wilson from AP's San Diego sports operation. Wilson works across the street where I frequented for the yummy 
vegetarian thin-crust pizza and an arugula salad with sundried tomatoes and mozzarella. Because there are so many Italians in Brazil, the food is on par with Italy.

 Running with Eddie Pells and Pat Graham, both AP
staffers based in Denver. Eddie (on left) and his wife are close friends with
Beau Terhaar and his wife. Fun connection!

1 comment:

Antoni said...

This is so great to read about your fantastic adventure! What a moving article about the Iranian woman. Can't wait to see you SOON! Xo Antonia