Sunday, August 20, 2017

Reunion ... 10 years later

 Ten years to the day after he broke Hank Aaron's home run record 
on Aug. 7, 2007, Barry Bonds was back at the ballpark. I got the only interview with him
before he did a TV spot hours later. But our chat led to this exclusive AP story. I worked hard on this tricky working relationship over many years. Each interaction presents its challenges. 
The previous time I saw him at a Warriors game, he told me: "No interview, Janie. I've been inviting you to go cycling for two years and you haven't held up your end of the bargain." To which I said, "Barry, I need a chaperone to be alone with you." And we parted ways. When I saw him this time, he told me how much he respects me for ALWAYS standing up to him when others don't.



1 comment:

Evan and Nathan said...

Has it really been 10 years?! Doesn't feel like it!