Monday, April 2, 2018

Pac-12 pool tour...

ARIZONA STATE!
Shannon came up from Tucson for a night! Such fun! 
Missing my dear regular daily swim friends in our little four-lane Franklin Pool but what an absolute treat to be a guest at ASU’s amazing fitness facility for the week I’m at spring training. Hit my head hard yesterday while backstroking but worth it to witness a beautiful desert sunset.
 Lovely Alex and I ran into each other not once but twice last year at two of my favorite Arizona spots: Papago Park, where she kindly took photos of my AP colleagues and me, then a few days later at the Scottsdale public pool early in the morning. In those five minutes we figured out she is from Spokane and played soccer at Washington State. We stayed in touch and got two nice dinners this year, then this morning she helped me reach 100 swim miles so far in 2018.
 STANFORD!
I’ve dreamt of swimming in the Stanford pool for nearly 16 years since moving to the Bay Area. Today, after practice for tonight’s second-round NCAA tournament game, Tara VanDerveer so graciously took a few minutes from her jam-packed day and walked me over and used her pass to let me swim, even introducing me around. They nicknamed me “TF” - Tara’s friend - the ultimate compliment and honor. I didn’t get kicked out for wearing my WSU swim cap either.
First time in a 50-meter pool and it’s tough (pal Heather warned me of this!) but awesome. Pulled a new swimsuit from the drawer for the occasion.
2100 meters or 1.3 miles after 4200 yards or 2.3 miles this morning with my regular crew at Franklin. Likely some shorter swims the rest of the week.
So fortunate and appreciative to have built such wonderful working relationships that are also friendships. Thanks, Tara, a Hall of Fame person and coach.

CAL!
Pac-12 pool tour continues: Thanks a million to Dave Durden and Cal men’s swimming for the thoughtful invitation and treat to swim at Legends yesterday before attending Cal baseball to catch up with Dusty and Darren Baker. Awesome day!

No comments: