Tuesday, June 23, 2015

World Cup sights in spectacular Vancouver

 At BC Place Stadium. Once again feeling blessed to see some incredible events and places for work.
 Well worth a walk across the Granville Bridge for these views.
 Dragon boat racing at the weekend dragon boat festival right outside the stadium in False Creek.
 Tove Pashkowski tracked me down, so that was a treat. The only person I've seen who I know these past six days. Usually I at least know somebody when I'm on assignment so this was a nice visit along with her nearly 2-year-old son, Henning. I showed them a community garden I discovered.
 Big boat under the bridge.
 Fond memories of my parents taking us to Expo '86 right there.
 Braved a swim in English Bay. Cold but not any different than lake chelan except for the sea stench that remained on my skin all day after a 30-minute workout (plus a 3-mile round trip run!). It's incredible to have a healthy back again that makes exercise and even walking no longer painful.

Canadian goalkeeper Karina LeBlanc offered me a hug BEFORE we even introduced ourselves in the mixed zone and started our interview. She switches her Maple Leaf design each match, and this one took about 90 minutes at nearby Junior's Barber Shop in Vancouver. For her World Cup match vs. the Swiss, she added red tips to her hair. Love her spirit.

2 comments:

The Big Sky Brewers said...

Great photos, Jane!!! Looks like a wonderful trip and another great experience! I love the Vancouver area. That's so neat you also got to see Tove and her son. :)

Evan and Nathan said...

Looks like another great assignment! I know you work really hard, but it's so nice to see that you take advantage of the opportunity to explore each venue that you travel to. Katy and Joe lived just outside of Vancouver for a few years, and they enjoyed it so much that they still spend time up there. Great pictures!